Dec 6, 2008

"Zeitgeist"

I get to see a lot of newspapers daily. But nevertheless this small supplement of indian express demanded my notice. As a part of revamping the style of ie, there came this new avathar of Saturday magazine - "zeitgeist".

The whole thing looks like a gimmick in first look. The authors' beautiful [or handsome which ever applies more. ;) ] faces are disfigured by some "special effects". They look more like amateur drawings, without finish. I wonder why they don't protest... Most look 'autistic' in their "new look". [Though their knowledge is commendable in their fields.]
I like the style of those writers.. But it would have been better, had they looked more like humans.

As I turn the first page, I find games, and they don't interest me much. May be I am matured finally. [smug smug! :D]

I first looked at the page "sexualities" and wondered what the reason behind the page is. All about "queer" relationships. Gays and lesbians to be exact. And transsexuals, not to be forgotten. and other 'queer happenings' around the world. I have nothing against transsexuals. They have their right to live well-respected. But, other than that, I strongly feel it would encourage the relationships 'against nature' to flourish in India. May be, cos I am straight, I feel it quite upsetting. A lot of stuff I never knew about sex, I know now, thanks to the indian express. [roll eyes!]
But I appreciate Ms. Padma Govindan. For giving out great relationship advice. Somehow, she thinks straight.

As I turn the page again, I see "ideas". Always catching my eyes. :) The ad-ed is one of my favorites.. He knows his work well. [Of course, ie thinks he is good enough, he should be. :) So, my comment does not count much here. But I cant help mentioning. :)]

As I look at the last page, I find muZic. But not in my sense of muZic. More like a window to world muZic. I would have preferred it if Indian muZic had been given preference, given the name of the main newspaper, indian express. Has it not been ignored completely along those lines?

Yes. I know gossips make a lot of market these days, even though those sordid affairs mean nothing to us. But cant it be better when published in a nation-wide-read paper?
Wondering what I feel when I finally fold the paper and rethink, I close my eyes. Balancing the feelings I find.

Zeitgeist
- the general intellectual, moral, and cultural climate of an era. Has it changed too much for me to swallow as a whole without suffocating? Or has it always been this way? And I never knew?

Please give me your comments. And I wish to know if it's just me.

4 comments:

Jatin said...

Hey when did this blog happend ? Didnt even took the pains to inform me !!
No wonder im not wrong to think dat now a days im just one of the name in ur long bro list !!! :( :( wawawaaa
btw u hav matured :P
I liked it n always expected dat one day u wil come up wid dis kinda blog !!!
Bravo keep it up ! [:)][:)]

--
Sent on a phone using T9space.com

--
Sent on a phone using T9space.com

Durga Nandan said...

It was always here in my list. :)
and i didnt think it was gud enuf to inform anyone.. :( and yes, i do have loads of bros.. but u will always be special. :) :)

thanks about informing me that i have matured. :P [thot i was still the kid in the flower carpet pic. :P]
thanksa lot. :)
and btw, ur prfile n blog seems blocked. :( open na? ;)

Anonymous said...

Undoubtedly matured :D

Durga Nandan said...

god! some ppl are finding me mature.. :( i wanna be a kid again.. :( :P