Apr 26, 2009

Baby Talk.

I love babies. I love babies talking. In fact when I am with one, I am one. You would never know the difference. And they relate to me equally well. May be cos I have an inborn ability to deal with babies, as Amma[Mom] says.. Some incidents have occured in my life, when babies completely unknown to me, took a liking to me and followed me. Until their parents took them away forcefully. And most had started crying then. Magnetic shall I call it? :P

They are so sweetly innocent that they steal your heart and steer your attention to anything they are doing. Even their drools are perfectly charming if you ask me. If they scratch out something on a piece of paper, that is more than art. It is the beauty of their souls. Such untainted souls.. The way they walk around creating that feel of love everywhere..
Look into their eyes. And their eyes speak. Trust me, it would take an equally innocent heart to look into their eyes and catch their attention.

I hate some kind of babies though. That are a bit grown up to understand that they will get attention if they baby talk. And they intentionally try to bring in that language into anything they speak. And they sound really awkward when they do that. Not just that, after they speak, they look around to see how many appreciate. No. I hate that. If you can speak alright, you have to. You will be appreciated for doing that.
But alas how to let the kids know! Right? Well, I let them know. For one, I stop smiling when they do it. And ask them directly why they baby talk when they can speak like normal. Most get a bit afraid and talk normal. Some get upset and shut up, hold their nose up and walk away. Good for them. Impostors. And good for me. I wont act like I am pleased with those actors in bloom. Those who wont, wont get my audience again. And they miss it terribly that they stop it anyways.

There are some people who act rude to babies, just for the heck of it. I admonish them if I can. For instance, one of my relatives, who is well known for his temper, and I were sitting together, watching TV. Suddenly, his child, a little 4 year old, walked into the room.
This man shouted at the kid "Come here you idiot!" I was surprised. But felt he might have done some mischief [very likely!].I stopped watching what I was and concentrated on them. The kid looked scared and walked slowly towards us. Fear was evident in his eyes. As he got near us, the man lifted his hand up and touched his forehead. 'Ask amma to give you your medicine.. RUN! Now!" The kid had fever and this man felt it was ok to shout at it. For no reason whatsoever.

I held the kid back and said. "If that was what you wanted to say, you could have said it softly. Why scare the kid?! Even I would have been scared by the way you shouted." The kid finally smiled cos may be he had too much of this at home every day. I dont get to meet them a lot of times. Hence I have no idea. But will tell you this. This man used to scare me when I was a child. I would hide behind cupboards when I went to his place and he came home after work. Just cos of fear. Not that he would do anything. But never had a smile on his face. As I grew up, I got over the fear and started facing him. And would not let him inflict that on any more kids if I can help it.
That man laughed uncomfortably. But I hope he had held back from scolding the kid at least for some days hence. Though I am sure of a relapse. That kid still sticks to me always when I go there.

These days I see something else too. Babe talk. No need to elaborate I know. All flirty flirty..! :) Donno if I like it or not. Do not. More like.. :)

I would rather say,

"Babies talk like themselves and get loved.
Babes talk like babies to get love."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

babies are so really sweet...i really didnt undersatnd that till my nephew came into my life! recently visited him...loved to see him play. Enjoyed all the simple pleasures of life like voice of plastic cups hitting on floor. it is such a great feeling to see him crawl... and talk...very special feeling :)

Gayathri said...

"Trust me, it would take an equally innocent heart to look into their eyes and catch their attention."

Was that meant to state that you are one among those 'innocents'?????? ;)

And babies are definitely cute,charming,lovable,..but i dont get used to them quite well,just coz i dunno how to deal with them :D..
PS: my comment has nothing to do with your 'innocence' statement,and me not able to deal with kids makes me no less innocent! :P

Durga Nandan said...

g3, what i meant in those lines actually was, when i have something in my mind that is not just right, i can not look them in eyes. even a teeny thing would make you uncomfortable.
i am not perfect. never will i be. :)

dealing with them is an art baby. :P come take classes from me. :P

a j said...

y dont babes just shut up?
their mouths r good but not wen they talk ;)

accept this if u have guts DN :P

Durga Nandan said...

yeah. but i dont think they have their mouths closed when they kiss. do they? :P
man dont challenge my guts. :P u know i have more than enuf. :)