Apr 13, 2009

Shivani, for you..

I announced at home that I am going to blog publicly, dad and mom did not think of reacting, or at least move their noses and grunt in response. However, my granpa, who was immersed in his daily regional newspaper scourge, lifted his head and looked at me enquiringly. I didn't suppose he was looking for an explanation [Even if he was, I was not in a mood to explain anyways.]. I went back to my room and to my computer. Well, I was kinda addicted to my computer these days.. Could not live without logging in at least once, everyday..
While I was working on my newly decided Internet venture, I heard a knock on my door. Thinking it was the maid who had come to clean, I mumbled a 'comein' and concentrated on what I was doing.. Then I heard the familiar tap of the walking stick and turned back to see my granpa leaning over my shoulder and trying to comprehend the numerous buttons and letters on the screen.
"Can you please tell me what exactly is this bolgging?"
"It is not bolgging, it is blogging granpa!"[I stressed on the word 'blogging' to get the point across clearly.]
"Yes. That. Is it done on your compooter?"
"It is done on the computer"[Again stressing on the word and getting annoyed that he was trying to interfere in what I was doing and that he was pronouncing all those words wrongly.]
"Why did you call it public, when it is on your compooter?"
"Bcoz from this computer, other computers can see it."
"Really?? They can see what you are doing?"
"Yes." I was getting more and more irritated at his ignorance.
"What do you exactly do when you blog?"
I was well known for my bad temper, but did not want to hurt him. "You type out things. and publish it."
"What are you publishing?"
"I have not decided."
He dragged a chair for the other corner of my room and sat near me.

O.K. So, he was not going to let me alone. I will have to bear with him, throughout my work! I swore under my breath. 'Dammit!'
"You carry on.. I will just sit here and not disturb you. I want to just see how you do it."
I decided to ignore the fact that his bespectacled face was nearer to the 'compooter' than mine, while I tried typing out something.
Needless to say, I was not able to type out anything.. After some 20 minutes of mental tsu-nami, I finally decided on writing about 'Photo editing and Advertising'. And then I started typing out vigorously. After I published some very 'Technical Whining' about photos and advertising, I sat back on my chair relaxed. "Finished!", I told myself.
"Now, can everyone see what you typed?"
Starting, I remembered 'the' spectacles and saw a face eagerly waiting for a reply.
Seeing the childish curiosity, I could not refrain from smiling.
"Yes granpa. The world can see what I just typed out!" I was grinning at the thought..
"The whole world?" He was looking at me suspiciously.. "Yes. The whole world."
He silently got up and went out. I was finally happy that everything was done. And that he didn't ask anything else. Or I would have had to explain the facts that I just blogged. I closed my eyes and relaxed again.
"Ammu, Can you do something for me?"
I opened my eyes to find granpa standing near me with a wad of papers in hand. "What is it Granpa?"
"This is Shivani's. Can you.."
"Can I what?" I saw his eyes getting watery.
"Can you publish them for me? She always wanted to publish her poems. But I was not able to do it for her when she was with me. Though she is not here, I want her athma to be happy seeing this.. "
I got up from my chair and let him sit.
"She always hoped that one day these poems will see daylight. I want her to know that I still love her and always wanted to make her wishes come true.."
He was looking down on to his lap and I found myself watery-eyed. I always knew they had a beautiful bond between them.. But now I knew how much he was missing her. And how much he loved her. I had always argued about the insensibility of arranged marriages and now, I felt something was amiss in all those arguments. My definition of love itself seemed wrong. I sat down and put my hands on his lap and looked up into his eyes. He was crying silently.
"No granpa, you have always made her wishes true. And you will make this wish, true too. We will do it together" I smiled at him. He lifted his head and looked at me. "Really?" I saw that child-like curiosity on his face again. And smiled. I held his hand and said "Yes. Really."
He smiled a watery smile. And I felt that smile was the best I ever saw in my life!
Thinking about the uselessness of my stupid 'Photo editing and Advertising blabber', I sat out on my chair and created another account. And needless to say, Granpa insisted on "shivani4u@gmail.com". :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really somethin!..
It gave me goose bumps yaar..
What a great love!!! Seems eternal..:)

Durga Nandan said...

:) Eternal love knows no bounds..
Not many are lucky aye? ;)

Anonymous said...

You said it dear:)

Gayathri said...

old post in new outfit ha!!!

Durga Nandan said...

nah. thinking of discarding that blog. copy paste. :P

Jatin said...

Watsoever u hav inherited poem writing 4m ur grandma :D ...kudos dat u hav learnt to vent ur temper !! :)

Anonymous said...

Mt grandparents also had a great chemistry, co-ordination, what ever you would call it. Till his last stage, my thata said that he was only sad because after him, my thati will be all alone. My thati was also very, VERY concerned about him. Everything was on time. Loved this quality in both of them. Their love, they had the best bond in our family, better than any of my father's brothers and sisters and my father himself :)

Anonymous said...

I personally dont have a huge connection with any of them because we never stayed for long with them and when we stayed with them, they turned out to be very cheeky and complained about everything. I dont very much admire them because, my father, being the eldest, supported his family, studied and worked at mere age of 18 and he taught all his brothers and sister and got them married. I dont find a big contribution of theirs. I might seem rude, but that is how it is!

Onward said...

awwwwwwwww..thats such a sweet post di...ur grandpa is so adorable...yeah i guess this is what u call eternal love ...this post totally filled me up..definitely one of ur best...and btw..when u do post her poems...do send me the link ok..i d love to read them..

luv
amith

rameez said...

touchin..
it is really amazing to see the bond that our grand-generations share..
we have too many love marriages now, of which 70% end up in dissatisfaction or divorce, but to think that our grandparents, who might be seeing each other on the day of their marriage for the first time, can be so passionately in love even after decades really is wonderful na?

Jatin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.