May 20, 2009

Randomer 'Religious' Thoughts...

Wondering why a lot of things don't make sense to me. I believe in a power, term it god or not, behind life. But if god had a form at all, other than power, then it is really a lot lot like an autocrat, if I go by the present day practices and teachings. I initially, tried bribing 'god' to see if it is selfish. But it didn't turn out selfish. On the contrary, I HAD to work to the end result.

See, I see priests asking us to 'donate' or pay for 'services' [Have they changed the meaning of services? :?]. Now, they says god[s] get angry if we don't do that, do this blah blah blah.. And some people, follow it. If you don't 'pray' daily, visit temple, offer offerings, you get 'ill luck'. If you p[r]ay, you get luck. More like those stupid spam forwards I get once in a while. Forward n you get 7 yrs of good luck and gal friend will kiss you till eternity, or your life will get destroyed by some dam aliens or something like that, more of a disaster.. blah blah again..

If god was so selfish, why live under it anyway? I would nt. If it is omnipresent, then it can see my thoughts and decide whether am good or bad. I don't need to 'offer bribe' or visit 'them' in some temple or church.

Krishna, in the Bhagavathgeetha says," pathram, pushpam, phalam, thoyam yo me bhaktya prayacchati, tad aham bhakty-upahrtam asnami pryatatmanah"[Chapter 9: verse 26]
Give me a leaf, or if you cant make it, a flower, if you don't have even that, a fruit, or if that too is not available, a lil bit of water, with love, and I am happy cos there is love, in it.
Now, see this and the way priests behave these days? And btw, there is not a mention of priests in the Gita or other scriptures of Hinduism by what I have read. And neither has the Bible. [If anyone sees any reference, please let me know. I would like to go through it.] I don't see a mention of nuns as well in the Bible [the base of Christianity as they say.].

Christ, if we go by the Bible, never asked Christians to constitute a pope and a hierarchy that prevails today. All he taught was sharing .. and loving.. Alas, I don't see much of love these days, where almost all are searching for power and money.

Buddhism has always enticed me. Though, I have not yet gotten into books of their philosophy in depth. Will. And Islam, have not been to it too in depth. Though the stress on knowledge has impressed me. The first word in the Qur'an, 'IQRA!' [meaning 'read', asserts the need of knowledge and the quest for it.] It also mentions, that everyone is equal. Everyone should seek knowledge, cos that makes him/ her closer to god. And what have we seen? Women denied education, treated unequals, burqhas..

Man, what thoughts I get, so late into night! I need to really get some sleep. :-| Gnit.

[PS- Will continue it on another sleepless night. :P]

12 comments:

rameez said...

Thought provoking, joe.
Very well written.
I totally agree with the 'bribing' thing.

I must commend your research, or at least the efforts in the direction. Just my personal opinion - As far as I understood, the laws or principles in Islam never promote that inequality and denial of education. But, I think burqah is a dress code having some dignity for a woman.
Sorry if I sounded like a religious fanatic. :)

Cheers!

Durga Nandan said...

:) Thanks ramz.. But I merely was curious and didnt do [or intend to] a research in this area.

Well, while Qur'an does nt have any mention about burqah or purdah, I do not mind it, if this modesty in dressing is from heart. Incidents of wearing burqahs and being COMPLETELY nude underneath, have been 'experienced'. And not in India, but in 'strict' countries like Saudi.

Hadith only asks you [men or women] to dress and behave modestly in public. Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers! :)
Joe..

Anonymous said...

Well, it depends from person to person. You are spitritual, so am I.
But, Hinduism is not a religion, its a way of life. Getting up early, doing surya namaskar, doing pooja, everything is a way of life. Which is very peaceful. It has been spoilt these days by SOME priests. Not all ask for grants. So, its always the outlook of people that matters.
I belong to a little conservative family myself and i am myself a little conservative. So, I could not relate too much to the Hinduism part. even in olden times, rich people and poor people offered grants to god, not for bribing (some sis to bribe) but just for the sake of their happiness. It is the same now in temples, you give money for development of temples, which are a place where god is "considered" to live. Though I am not a believer of god being only in temples, but still you should always give a par of what you get to God. To thank him :-)

Durga Nandan said...

@ ramya : Yes. I know Hinduism is a way of life. I myself have mentioned that in one of my posts. > http://myrandomthotzz.blogspot.com/2009/01/christianity-is-religion.html

I understand your feelings. But if God gives us what we have, Why return a part of it? :? And if you really want to share it, shouldn't you be sharing it with the needy? Don't you think that is sensible? :?

PS- I am not against any religions. I am merely curious. :)
DN.

Anonymous said...

I think that its wonderful to give the needy! You help the poor, you help god!

rameez said...

Omigod! I never knew of such incidents, to be honest. Yeah, such acts directly contradict the very purpose.
Yeah, you are right, burqah or purdah or niqaab or watever, are not as such compulsory in Islam, what it asks for is to cover all body parts except for the forehand and the face, in case of women. And any modest dress which delivers this requirement would do..

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hi Durga...

This is my first visit to your blog.....:)

Liked the blog theme "black" which was mine for 5 long months..

This article was indeed very provocative and can make one think...

Millions of things we are made to believe and do which as a matter of fact are just a way to do a business or let the world breath one more second....

I liked the way you have put all religions at stake by putting the realistic data forward... :P

Good one....

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

had a glance at your old stuff too...

We have few common thoughts :P


See you around...

Cheers

Durga Nandan said...

@ Mahesh : Firstly, welcome aboard. :)

And secondly, thanks for going thru my thoughts. Though as u say, we have 'few' thoughts in common. :)
I never would want to provoke anyone or any religion. But as I said before, I am curious. And I do not mind going 'far' to quench it.

Anyways, cu arnd. :)
cheerz!

DN.

Anonymous said...

Joe, wat is this?? diggin deep abt religions??:) Nice nice..:)I do agree dat most of dem forget the ultimate principles n fallin prey to money.of course,daz a sad thing..
well, i read u say dat there is not a mention of priest in the bible too.. but datz incorrect so jus go thru it wen u get tym.. >http://www.endtimeprophecy.org/Content/-VerseGroups/verse039.ssi
:)

Durga Nandan said...

that link is broken mia. :)
if u temme the verse number and chapter, i can look it on my hard copy. :)

Anonymous said...

/www.endtimeprophecy.net/EPN-1/VerseLists/verse039.html#anchor1234567<<< now here it is dear..