Aug 14, 2009

The Ever Doubtful

Yesterday, I was going through a random blog classifying students.

The classification went thus,

Front benchers, back benchers, outloookers [who look out always], the wise, the 'ever doubtful',
and numerous other names for all kinds of people.
Now I was surprised by the classification of 'the ever doubtful'.. It seems to be a 'universal phenomenon'. I was one of that kind. I am. I keep asking doubts - from silly, simple, hard, thought provoking, and simply provoking.- Now, I have always encountered jeers from the others in the class when I ask doubts. Especially the guys. They start commenting, sneering, this that.. blah blah.. Even gals were not bad.. A little giggle here, little giggle there.. And a sarcastic comment here and there. Most people just threw exasperated glances at me when I started asking something.

I have noticed another thing. Experienced teachers welcome doubts, whereas the inexperienced young teaching enthusiasts join the kids in this sneering thing.

Asking doubts is my way of learning. Having[Or asking] no doubt means one of the three things.
1) You understood everything.
2) You have not understood anything.
3) You dont want to learn.

Obviously, I was not in any of the three classifications. And once in a while, I end up understanding just a little of what is taught and I dont leave the teacher without explaining it again. It is 'cos I want to know it better.

Could any one of those sitting without doubts explain to me those random doubts that arise in my mind? I bet they can't. Unless it is just an elementary doubt. And yes, these doubt clearing sessions remain in memory far longer than those uneventful classes with unresponsive and lethargic teachers.

Today, a similar incident happened. It was a puzzles' session and I met with the same situation again. I admit I have stupid doubts once in a while. Dont everyone? They hide it for the fear of being considered a fool. Or idiot. I dont. I know I dont know. Why hide and increase the ignorance? Why not clear it?
At least, if you have no mind to, why not let the others who have the guts to say 'I dont know' clear theirs?? I have wondered a lot why they do not have doubts... Any idea?

I feel like asking, "What is your problem?" and numerous times have I asked it. But I got more sneers. :) Than an answer.
I thought this attitude would change after a certain age when people become mature. Now, the age group of 20-25 react the same way.
And today I confronted one of my friends and asked her. She smiled. And smiled for a bit more.
But when she knew I was determined to worm an answer out of her, she said thus " It makes you look "oversmart". It makes you look like you want to "shine" in front of other people. And things like that..."

Now all those goodie goodie people out there, let me ask you a simple question.
If I wanted to 'shine', I would have used another technique altogether. I would have not made it clear that I dont know certain things. Rather would have stuck to ' I KNOW!'
Would I have let you know that I am ignorant if I wanted to show off?

And there is no such thing as 'oversmart'. It is either smart or not smart. People smarter than you are not 'oversmart'. No such word even exists in the English language. It is a make of the ones that aint assertive.
People more assertive and daring than you are not 'overdaring' and 'overassertive'. They are just people with a want to learn.

Arent people who jeer a bit insecure? Does not this reaction arise form such a fear? If they really wanted to learn something other than the bookish stuff, should not they be involved in the 'asking questions'? Rather than biting the backs of those who have the guts to?
Is curiosity a punishable offense? Why is a thirst for understanding things deeper met with such reactions? When will these people change? Will they ever?

I do not know.
One thing, but I do know. I wont change. I will keep being inquisitive. Ask. Interrupt. Remain the ever doubtful. "People say. let them say, what they say!"

6 comments:

Amit Kumar Singh said...

well, Curiosity is first step to any theoretical or philosophical investigation.

Glad to know that U r 'ever doubtful' Kind.
I was one of kind that never ask question during my preparation of IIT-JEE. I can tell u that this is not due to fact I understand everything, iwas in constant phobia that how other's would react.

Asking doubt need courage and passion to know and u have..
cheers!!

Anonymous said...

you asked too man doubts? LOL.. i would be one among the people who would sneer at you..sorry! There are a couple of people in my class.. they have all the doubts in the world. But, its good, the classes stop for some time atleast, and we get some talking time ;-)

Durga Nandan said...

@ Amit : And people at least wont shut up when someone asks a doubt.

I hope you have changed. Asking doubts aint a crime. That is what you pay the insti for. If they cant clear it, you are at a loss.

Cheerz! :)

Durga Nandan said...

@ ramya : :) Yes I ask doubts. Like hell.
I wonder why you laugh at such people..
You know,no body learnt anything by remaining silent about their doubts.
And all the doubts in the world makes a small yet significant change in your life.
For a person like me, who values knowledge, brain and intellect more than everything else, [not the usual "bookish" knowledge that gets u marks and not a life.] it is necessary to ask doubts. Or I get restless. :)
Anyways, Cheerz to you! I hope your child is "the ever doubtful". :P

Gayathri said...

Well,see,it's not that doubts make someone irritating coz of the content..most of the time,students will be waiting for the teacher to be done with whatever gibberish she was upto..so constant interruptions prolongs her class..so obviously it wud be a bit irritating..
at times it also happens that u wud be aching for a break and a doubt would be blissful..
but there has been times when im met with,"there's nothing to doubt,it's a fact..just accept the theory that way" kinda comments..what would i ask to such schmucky teachers??
and regarding teachers sneering at you:most of them would have scheduled themselves to cover a certain portion on a day,and ur doubt would not only increase their stress of referring and explaining but also veer from the schedule..also,some of ur 'stupid doubts' which u acknowledge u have at times,would set u in a stereotype that they would fit every doubt of urs into that category even without listening..
got the point?
there's no way out..if u r persistent,ignore the sneers,and go ahead..if u r a loser,change ur nature!!

Durga Nandan said...

@ G3 : Yeah. I get it. And you know me. I dont give up easily. :)

Hmm.. I understand the restlessness to get the class over by teachers and students in unison. May be next time I will be a bit more careful. :)
Anyways, this one bulky fellow cornered me after class and threatened me not to ask doubts again. He got the word that indicated some of the reproductive measures taken by humans, from me. :)

That is the level of rebellion from people in my class. And you expect me to remain silent!

Cheerz di!
Thanks for commenting with the 2 kids murmuring in ur ears and other constraints.

Durga.