May 3, 2010

Straight From the Heart.

Today, I was browsing through Alcoholics Anonymous online, when I dropped into a gay support group site. Neither am I an alcoholic, nor a gay. My curiosity was aroused as I read some incidents they shared and I went from link to link reading about how life is for people who are gay and can not get support from their dear and near cos it is a taboo in our country. At least according to what today's society has decided for us.

A person can follow any religion he wants, or stay an atheist. Nobody finds that 'sick'. But being gay is not something people can come out with and still be social. I mean, you cant help being a gal. You cant help being a guy. It is kinda the same, you cant help being gay I guess. You can dress up like a guy if you are a gal and like a gal if you are a guy but you ultimately remain whatever you are. Nobody finds that sick.

When my friends read this, they might as well freak out wondering what is with this gal. But it is just that I feel they have their right to lead a normal life even if that does not sound normal to us.
I found people who are contemplating suicide cos they are not able to live this double life anymore.
I found people who have come out of the closet, in constant fear of attacks.
I found people who are forced to marry straight just cos the parents fear society. They themselves fear society.

I had typed out in the past about why I think they should be let to live. But then, I was afraid how my post would be received. So deleted them once I reached somewhere. I can only imagine how people who have to bring out life changing revelations like being gay would feel.

Btw, onto the lighter side, I saw this on one of the communities for homosexuals online.


Questions for Heterosexuals

developed by Martin Rochlin, Ph.D

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

2. When and how did you first decide you were a heterosexual?

3. Is it possible your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?

4. Is is possible your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of
the same sex?

5. Isn't it possible that all you need is a good Gay lover?

6. Heterosexuals have histories of failures in Gay relationships. Do you think you may have turned to heterosexuality out of fear of rejection?

7. If you've never slept with a person of the same sex, how do you know you wouldn't prefer that?

8. If heterosexuality is normal, why are a disproportionate number of mental patients heterosexual?

9. To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did they react?

10. Your heterosexuality doesn't offend me as long as you don't try to force it on me. Why do you people feel compelled to seduce others into your sexual orientation?

11. If you choose to nurture children, would you want them to be heterosexual, knowing the problems they would face?

12. The great majority of child molesters are heterosexuals. Do you really consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual teachers?

13. Why do you insist on being so obvious, and making a public spectacle of your heterosexuality? Can't you just be what you are and keep it quiet?

14. How can you ever hope to become a whole person if you limit yourself to a compulsive, exclusive heterosexual object choice and remain unwilling to explore and develop your normal, natural, healthy, God-given homosexual potential?

15. Heterosexuals are noted for assigning themselves and each other to
narrowly restricted, stereotyped sex-roles. Why do you cling to such
unhealthy role-playing?

16. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

17. With all the societal support marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?

18. How could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual, considering the menace of overpopulation?

19. There seem to be very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed with which you might be able to change if you really want to.
Have you considered aversion therapy?

20. Do heterosexuals hate and/or distrust others of their own sex? Is that what makes them heterosexual?


I could not help smiling when I thought those questions I asked in mind to them, could be the questions they ask me.
I told some of my friends I was blogging about LGBT people.
First person reacted "OMG!"
Second, So which r u? L or B?
Third, oh...shit...

And so on and on.. I didnt know people had issues with this. Until now. Felt like typing my thoughts in here..

PS- On a very personal note, this world and its people is pretty career minded to care long term for friendships.
I wonder how people managed to survive till this day. Or do I have this affinity to careerists that is unique to just me? I would not know..

PPS- Iam at fault. Big one.

DN

2 comments:

Annael said...

There is so much to the topic of sexuality, I should write a whole big fat essay on it, I am still doing research on the subject.

Well, the soul has no gender, so no such issues. If people learn to love every soul, then all problems get solved, ain't that right!

Durga Nandan said...

Exactly!
But not many understand it. Even those people who outwardly say "I am unbiased on gender or sexuality", have in their subconscious a difference of opinion.
They hide it well though.