Dec 24, 2008

Christmas Thoughts..

Christmas is a beautiful time... The windy days and cold nights. The chill of life, engulfing me.. I am waiting for the carols to sing[bring] happiness into my heart.. The crib that looks like the most unworthy, but is the center of the celebration.. balloons.. festoons.. the tree.. lights.. Gosh, it was just nothing short of beautiful.
But these days, Christmas is nothing short of showing off.. The cold night is blocked by room heaters.. The windy day, met by closed windows.. Life is for "chilling out". Cribs are worthy. Cos we buy them. And do not have patience to 'make'. Carols are a way for neighbourhood kids to make money. They come, sing a line, and open their hands one inch under our nose asking us to pay for the 'entertainment' they gave. The tree is ready-made, complete with lights. Just plug it in. And tada Christmas time!
Are we enjoying? Or making it yet another day of business and show off? [Oh forgot, it is a holiday! huh! :P ]

Latest edit :- I miss my granpa.. Maternal though he was, he was the only granpa I ever had.. And he used to call Christmas, "Ghirmas"[just for the heck of it.. :D].. There was always a crib waiting for his grandchildren, at the tharavadu [ancestral home] .. decorated.. a tree.. which he personally decorated with all what he could get .. cards.. baubles..
He is no more.. But his memories.. still haunt me sometimes.. I never told him I love him.. But I do.. :) Must be knowing it now.. :) ... Love you and miss you granpa! :) - Thangu..

2 comments:

Dinesh G said...

Come to think of it every festival across the world is getting ravaged by the so-called modern era/ progress of civilisation. I can't remember the last time when I saw kids scampering through the neighbourhood to glean flowers to make Pookkalam during Onam. Flowers are available for sale. Swings, what swings? It's no thrill compared to a video game... Paayasam in plastic packets aren't that bad too? (sigh) All festivals are getting so artificial these days, like the people (me included) who celebrate them. Getting back to the original scheme of things is not possible again, I guess. Better resign to the fate and go by the flow. Ah yes, yesterday I had a great Xmas lunch. At a classy restaurant.

PS: Latest edit was touching. We always associate memorable moments with a person we can't forget.

Durga Nandan said...

Yes, I wanted to write about our very own onam.. But I was kinda lazy to type out then..
I get nostalgic when I see the mukkuttipoo anywhere.. But the same me, was wondering why the "old generation" created a fuss about thumbapoo. My kids might wonder why they even need a christmas tree at home, when "you can party all night". :)