Nov 26, 2009

The movie you'll love..

Finally I saw a Malayalam film that I LOVED. The Keralavarma Pazhassi Raja. The Lion of Kerala.

I have already read the life of Pazhassi from the Aithihyamala by Kottarathil Shankunni. So I was quite familiar with the plot.
They have deviated a bit. But it is forgivable. I would not start off with praises for the film the reason being Ramz has already done that job. But can't help touching the emotional aspects of the film and its characters.

I loved Neeli, a tribal girl who moves with the agility of a chimp and shoots with the aim of a master. Her dedication and love for her lover Chandu, is awesome. The energy that she projected throughout the film endeared that girl to me. If I had to chose between Maakkam [Pazhassi's wife] and Neeli, it would certainly be Neeli. :)
The bravery of Kunkan and the commitment of Pazhassi, are commendable. And Kunkan sometimes steals the show with his involvement in the character and facial expressions. His body speaks more than his words.
Makkam reminds me of how a wife should be. Someone who leaves everything for her husband and respects him like God.
The film rekindled my interest in our martial art, Kalaripayattu. I loved the stunt scenes.
Lotsa times, it made my eyes fill. Every time a loyal one succumbed to death, it makes you feel the loss. The success of a film lies in involving the audience in the story and making them feel exactly what the characters feel. This film did it to me.

I am not spending more time praising it. But yes, the rest of the Mollywood should please look at the film and learn how to take care of details.
I am no movie buff. But if you have not seen it, my advice is, don't miss it. The large screen money is certainly worth it. If you can, go through the biography before you see it. It certainly helps.

There is one another life I want to see filmed. The life of Shakthan Thampuran. He is my hero. Has always been from the day I knew him.
Again, thanks to Aithihyamala I have read all about him. But the screen experience would be once in a life time.

Cheerz to the crew of Pazhassi!!
You guys did a fantabulous job!
DN

PS- On the lighter side, I saw a soldier with our very own Bata chappals. :D
But then, Perfection is impossible. :)

2 comments:

rameez said...

Because Ramz has already done it?
:)
Wow!

I'm very glad you liked it.. For if you hadnt, I would have assumed your movie-sense to be somewhat perverted.. :)

Yeah, Neeli was awesome. I actually forgot to elaborate on that part.. She does infuse so much energy into the film..

And see, you had actually read about Pazhassi before, yet you found the movie engaging. We all know what is going to happen, yet they overcame the predictability factor to keep the audience engaged till the end.

Feelings dittoed!

Cheerz.!

Durga Nandan said...

:) And did it well.

I appreciate good movies dear. Just that many do not come in that category. Yeah, I ve this weird habit of reading scripts. But after getting reviews if I feel its good, I do go watch. :)

And somehow I have always had this feeling I might end up with a movie buff finally. [God bless me! :(]

Yeah, Pazhassi engaged me very well. As much I didnt want the film to end. Or him to die.

Cheerz! :)