Jan 27, 2010

An Apology

Our old home was on rent. A medico had taken the house. He and some of his friends at the Medical college were staying there. We didnt bring our furniture from there to our new home believing nothing old to the new. New wine in new bottle.

Recently. their 11 month lease got over and somehow dad said we could take some furniture from there, if we wanted. So, I told him I wanted my table back, something I had from 6th standard.
On getting the table, I and my cousins [who were on a visit that day], cleaned it up. And one of them found a diary in one of the draws.

It was his. The medico who took the house on rent. And useless and indecent, we started reading it. Not much. But it was his private stuff and his heart in a way. He must have forgotten to take it.
We mused for long with it reading his stories and poems and daily entries.
After everyone left, I restarted the cleaning.
And then I found something that made my eyes wet.
I found my long lost treasures. My old poems, stories, diary entries, letters,[ok, I was a fan of snail mail long back :)] and some special stuff.. And the thing is, it was in the lowest draw. He used the table for sure. He had seen the package too. But the whole thing was unopened. Untouched. He had respected my privacy. And I stripped him in public and laughed at his emotions. I feel bad. I respect him. And regret having done that.
I should have listened to amma when she said I should not read it. For a bit of fun, I read it. Sorry man. I am really sorry. He left for the Gulf right after his convocation. So, fat chance I will meet him again.
So, I apologize here. I am sorry. I didnt feel I was wrong then. I wish I had not. Now.

Durga.

2 comments:

Gayathri said...

I liked this one..read this one when i was in mysore itself..couldnt post the comment then..

Durga Nandan said...

:)
thanks..