Mar 18, 2009

A Serious Thought about Social Networking.

I am not too much of a social being. I blabber a lot. It is one thing. But when it comes to getting comfortable in a social get together, I really take time. I am basically a reserved fellow until someone gets real close. But when it comes to Internet, I kinda do well in making and keeping a social network around me. Not all know me well. And not all are my friends. But somehow everyone remains my acquaintance. And I can recognize the person by his writing style. With Orkut, I tried Facebook as well. But decided to remain loyal to Orkut since I felt Facebook was kinda not on my frequency.

I have been on Orkut for a long time and during that time, I have made 'friends' as well. But to know them from inside, I had to resort to other methods like chatting and mails. Orkut has a single profile that talks about a person with some random communities and cliche' questions. I used to wonder what Orkut meant when it asked me what one would find in my bedroom.And the crap about a headline. I seriously donno what the mean by that, even now. 8-O

Scraps are fine alright. But then, I had to switch from one scrapbook to another to know where the conversation was heading. [Oh yes, I peek into your scraps if I can manage and if you make some sense to me. :P] But then, it wont make any sense if the thread is broken or if I end up reading it long time after the scrapping is done.

Yesterday, while I was lost in thoughts, I suddenly wondered whether the blogging community should be considered a better means of social networking on net.. I personally, came to know about people more through their blogs than their scraps and profiles and other things. More of a clear and unhindered picture of life is portrayed in a blog than in a profile which mostly remains the same throughout. A blog is from one's heart and anything one feels gets in there. And you can ignore things you dont want to comment on. The conversation starts from the blog. Not the blog or conclusion from the conversation. It holds space for debate and discussions. The forums do. But I donno how many people are keen on following what happens on a forum or community. I have not checked most of the communities I am a member of. It is just the name that made me join most of them.

It feels good to finally have a way to peep into minds of people without actually having to be too assertive and nosy. A blog is a window to a heart.. It is a way to a mind. :)

4 comments:

Gayathri said...

ahem ahem..i understand what provoked you to post this one.. the cat fight and the associated stuffs!! :D

Onward said...

i totally agree..the blogging community is more of a social network coz we know about a person through their blog like how i know how sweet and smart a person u r..:-)...

But i for one prefer the real thing to any social network..meeting a person in the flesh is always something i enjoy and i m more comfortable with...

Durga Nandan said...

@g3 : no di. i donno why. I just felt that. suddenly. you know how it is with me. it is all an impulse and no reason. ;)

@ Ami : I think you got infected from the 'lavish praise' bug too. :P
Am happy for u da.. :) I am not too easy on a 'real meeting'. :( :)

Jatin said...

wel as u knw im new to this blogin stuff but i agree wid u wen u say a blog is better option to judge sumbody then his orkut profile but there days how many ppl hav a blog..so we stil hav to go wid their orkut profile..Isnt it ??